Tuesday, December 8, 2009

False Alarm

So...it turns out our last hurrah wasn't actually our last hurrah.

Horribly anti-climatic, I know.

The coast guard issued a storm warning, and in the avoidance of some pretty serious swells, our captain decided it was best not to sail.

Hilo, however, couldn't let us dock for another day, so last night we ended up sailing back to Honolulu.

That is where I currently find myself

What does this mean for the next six days?

Well...

Finals will still happen on schedule, which means I still have two papers due tomorrow, and two exams the day after that...so my newfound day in Honolulu is currently being spent at a random coffee shop, laptop in tow, writing about reproduction and U.S. foreign policy (separately, I should clarify).

As for now, we are planning to sail tonight, and if we do, we will still arrive back to San Diego on December 14th as planned, but they are telling us that everything is contingent on the conditions and Captain Jeremy's decision to sail or not.

I really, really, really want to arrive in San Diego as scheduled (did I mention I want to get back to San Diego on time?), so I am waiting with fingers crossed that everything works out just fine.

Papers are calling...

Love. Anna

2 comments:

  1. Morning Anna,
    I'm relieved that your captain decided to wait until sailing conditions are safe. I've heard that the "Big Eddy" serfing competition is taking place right now; however good for serfing, those kind of waves have to be rough for sailing.
    Much love,
    Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anna,

    We really, really, really, really can't wait to see you. Wish I was there with you to see a 40' wave. Oh the joys of sailing.

    Love you,

    Dad

    ReplyDelete