Sunday, October 11, 2009

Day Six in Cape Town

My final day in Cape Town was absolutely fabulous.

Eight of us (including two lovely life-long learners) hired a taxi to take us down to Cape Point (the lowest point on the continent of Africa).

The drive was completely breathtaking! I think I’ve failed to mention in previous posts how incredibly beautiful South Africa is—because it has a Mediterranean climate (much like home), it rivals California in everything from beaches to wine lands, and truly would be an excellent spot for your next big vacation (it’s so much more developed than what you’re picturing it to be, trust me).

We saw penguins (you’re not all that far from Antarctica down there, I suppose) and also the exact place where the Atlantic Ocean and the Indian Ocean collide (you can actually see it, friends. It is SO cool!). We hiked to a lighthouse at the top of this cliff, where we looked out over the whole ocean blue—such a worthwhile trek! (We also got to see lots of ostriches and baboons...possibly the funniest looking animals I think there ever was).

Heading back, we drove through some of South Africa's wine lands, which are just now budding, and green as could be (as it is springtime in South Africa). We took plenty of pictures, dined well, and soaked in our last bits of fresh South Africa air, (and even made it back to the waterfront in time to call home) before boarding the ship again.

Almost everyone you talk to on board this boat will tell you that Cape Town was their favorite port; people were so devastated to leave. I wouldn’t call South Africa my very favorite of all (for more reasons than I have time to write at the moment. Ask me over coffee when I get home?), but I did have a marvelous time! There are things I experienced in South Africa that I will never forget as long as I live, and for that I am grateful.

I can hardly believe how fast time is flying. Mauritius (our next port) is the halfway point for our voyage!

Crazy, no?

I do miss you all very much, and wish you the very best this coming week.

Love. Anna

1 comment:

  1. Dear Anna,
    Just to let you know that we're hanging on to your every word. We wish you smooth sailing.
    Love,
    Aunt Barb and Dennis

    ReplyDelete