Tuesday, October 20, 2009

Hello there, dear friends.

It’s been quiet on the blog-front these past few days as I am once again battling illness, and trying to fully recuperate before we get to India. (I would just like to go on record and say that I’m officially convinced flu shots do zip for my well-being—I’ve been sick more in the two months since I got my vaccine then I’ve been in the past two years)

Oh, but Mauritius was entirely superb!

Allie and I packed more fun into three days than I thought possible. We explored the diverse and very walkable city of Port Louis and did a submarine tour of the coral reef (we saw an octopus!) and spent a generous amount of our time as the only Americans lying on a beach with some of the truest turquoise water the ocean has left to offer.

And about getting to the beach.

We planned on taking a taxi. This is how most everyone was getting around while we were on the island, and we were told in our pre-port briefing to expect the taxi ride would cost about thirty U.S dollar. But we ran into a SASer on the second day who told us we could take a public bus to the beach for a fraction of the Mauritian rupee we would pay going by taxi, so the next day Allie and I set off to tackle the public transportation system of Mauritius.

Getting to the bus terminal was a breeze. Finding the right bus to get on took a little more work (and plenty of help from kind locals), but when all was said and done, we got to a beautiful beach on a local bus for twenty-four Mauritian rupee, which is the equivalent of about eighty-one U.S. cents.

A savings of  $29.19.

How’s that for some fun international thriftiness?

I’m quite proud.

Love. Anna

2 comments:

  1. My dear Anna, You left $.03 on the table. $30.00 less $.81 is $29.19. (HaHa) Hope you are feeling better and will be fully recovered by the time you dock in India.

    Love your,

    CPA Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh father,

    i could blame it on flu-endosed brainlessness...but really, the truth is numbers and i have never got along well. somehow your math genes got left out of our DNA exchange. ; )

    love you,
    anna

    ReplyDelete