Saturday, November 28, 2009

From Home

There are two things in particular from home that I've found in every port of call without exception (I call them two of our most prominent American exports).

Can you guess what they are?

It’s not Coca~Cola (although you can easily consume that in every country too).

And it’s not McDonalds (you may remember that Ghana’s left out of the loop on that one).

Our first big global export is music.

I can’t tell you how many times I was in a restaurant or a store or driving in a random taxi, and We’d hear a song on the radio and I’d to turn to Lila or Allie and say, “Remind me where I am again”. From Cyndi Lauper’s “Girls Just Wanna Have Fun” to Lady Gaga’s “Just Dance” to the “YMCA” (most bizarrely in China)—our music is everywhere. I’m convinced a great majority of the time people have no idea what it is they’re actually listening to, but that seems to be of little to no consequence in matters of enjoyment.

Our second pervasive export is a little chain we like to call KFC.

Oh my, how I wish I could fully communicate how the rest of the world loves our Colonel Sanders, but they love him infinitesimally more than we do in the States.

Not only was it by far the most widespread U.S. fast food chain around the world; it was most always frequented by locals from whatever country we happened to be in at the time. I still don’t fully understand it, but this global fried chicken love is, indeed, deeply-rooted.

Seven days to Hawaii (and hooray for a much-anticipated reading day tomorrow).

Love. Anna

2 comments:

  1. My Dearest Anna,

    The reason for the popularity of KFC is that it is "finger licking good" and every country has chicken. Remember your 3rd grade birthday party!!

    I look forward to sharing some extra chrispy with you over the holidays.

    Love, Dad

    ReplyDelete
  2. sister! it is SO true.

    indonesians LOVE their KFC! as do my students from around the world. but we all agree that KFC is way better here than in the states. in the US you can't get rice with your chicken or sambal (hot sauce). so i think you need to come here so we can have some real KFC. :)

    love you!

    ReplyDelete