Tuesday, September 1, 2009

Learners for a Lifetime

There are about 30 or so “life-long learners” on board with us, with an age range from about 60 to 80 years old. They sit in on our classes and discussions and shipboard activities, and even dine with us in the same dining room. They’re a special bunch, I can tell already.

I’m still awaiting my adoption by one of them (SAS facilitates an “extended family” program onboard).

But I did get to have lunch with Gretchen and her husband Ray the other day. This is their fifth voyage with SAS as life-long learners. She is an expert on all things Semester at Sea, and a self-proclaimed Facebook addict. She gave me four very wise pieces of advice that I thought I would pass along to you all in hopes that you might receive them with as wide a smile as I did.

#1 Think positive. (Her recommended cure for seasickness. She swears by it.)

#2 Don’t get drunk. (But she’s not watching.)

#3 Don’t have unprotected sex. (She didn’t elaborate on this one. I’m thinking I’m okay with that.)

#4 Don’t leave your fingers in the door jam. (The heavy doors onboard eat fingers for lunch.)

Rules that more post-adolescent/pre-adults could stand to hear from a sweet little one like Gretchen every once in awhile, don’t you think? ; )

I love the flair these folks add the to the atmosphere of our ship. They ask good questions, give great answers, and look out for the fingers of the younger of us aboard ship.

2 comments:

  1. fave post so far. :)
    stay close to those older folks, seems like they know a thing or two about life.

    and they're just downright darling.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  2. #4 seems most practical, to be honest. Very "learn by doing" of her, if you ask me!

    ReplyDelete