Friday, September 25, 2009

Neptune Day

Hello Dear Friends,

I cannot fully describe how amazing my time was in Ghana. Truly, truly marvelous!

Before I start debriefing Ghana (yes, I’m stalling on this country…too much to digest!), I wanted to post the ever important news that tomorrow is Neptune Day here on board—a very special and important day in the life of a sailor.

Neptune Day happens every voyage when a ship crosses the equator (it’s also a no class day for us. Loves it!) Tomorrow, the MV Explorer will cross the equator at exactly zero degrees longitude and zero degrees latitude: the middle of the globe! Crazy, no?

There are supposedly lots of festivities that go on (which to be honest, sound more like hazing rituals to me more than anything else) so it should be fun. Apparently, we’re supposed to kiss fish and get smothered in fish guts? (Much mystery surrounds Neptune Day, if you can’t already tell). It’s also tradition on Neptune Day to have your head shaved, so a large number of guys will be partaking in that one, as well as a few brave women (I already know of one girl who’s shaving her head tomorrow, and I could just cry for her gorgeous blonde waves).

Onward to South Africa! (yikes, I cannot believe that we are almost through September)

Love. Anna

No comments:

Post a Comment