Tuesday, September 15, 2009

Winging It

For my Anthropology of Reproduction class, I have to give a presentation on infancy and breast-feeding in Morocco. I was really excited about this assignment, until I realized that we have a library the size of my kitchen (and apparently breast-feeding in Morocco isn’t the number one title they chose to carry on it’s shelves…can’t imagine why).

My professor reassured me that I could use my conversations and observations in port for the meat of my presentation, which I thought was a fabulous idea, until I got to Morocco, and realized it’s a lot harder to approach a pregnant, Arabic-speaking woman and ask her how she’s planning to feed her baby than I had originally thought.

So I got the brilliant idea to ask some questions of my male tour guide, Driz, who’s consequently the only strong English-speaking Moroccan I had consistent access to throughout my stay.

I decided to start by telling him that I wished there were a woman I could ask about these things…but I ended up telling him that I wished he were a woman.

Awkward times.

I was hoping we could laugh it off, but apparently Driz didn’t find that funny.

So I switched the topic to nomads and land policy. Problem is my presentation isn’t on nomads and land policy.

All this is to say that I should have great fun when I get up in front of the class tomorrow.

Let us hope the Internet and its article databases shine their favor on me.

Love. Anna

3 comments:

  1. hahahahaha. i can picture this. and i wish i was there. if anyone could have gotten answers from a moroccan man to questions like those, it would most definitely have been you. love you always.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Dear Anna,
    We love your blog. Seriously,you should publish this when you return. Grandma is visiting us at the time, and she's practicing on the computer by reading your blog...she has her own email address.
    Now you take care of yourself. Love, Aunt Barb

    ReplyDelete
  3. hahahah oh anna. lesson # 232: moroccan men do not like to be called women.

    ReplyDelete