Friday, September 18, 2009

Taught Anew

The world is a complicated thing.

Bursting all at once with pain and beauty, abundance and brokenness.

I carry much of that with me.

In this beautifully painful world, it’s easy to forget how to hope. To forget the fullness of such a word.

And so I look for words that have been written or lives that have been lived to find some shred of instruction on how to hope again.

Tonight I learned once more from the greatest and most profound of teachers.

One single sunset on the open sea has the power to wipe away the numbness and apathy running rampant through this world, friends, I swear it.

The sun tangles it’s way through the clouds, plump and white as they are, casting a rosy-gold glow as it sets, and laying out a wide carpet of glitter on the surface of the water that catches itself in your eyelashes. The air is salty and thick and warm, and it blows your hair any direction it pleases, and you don’t refuse it…there’s no need to.

We stood patiently, Allie and I, with our chins resting on the lacquered wooden railing, bidding ado to each ray of sun as it went.

And I found myself filled. With gratitude and joy and most of all with great hope for tomorrow and all that it will bring.

Wherever you find yourself tonight, you watch that very same sun set. Smog and bank accounts and to-do lists aside, may it bring you the same great hope it brought me tonight…for tomorrow and all that it will unravel before it’s own setting sun.

Much Love. Anna

2 comments: